Monday, November 26, 2012

Because Prof. Goodman wasn't there on Saturday ...

Because Prof. Goodman wasn't in the lab on Saturday, I stole 3 liters of double-distilled water home to cook Pu-erh tea and tasted LB medium. When I complained that the Pu-erh tea I cooked tasted awful, Mom suggested me to change the water, because water in Wisconsin is too hard. Double-distilled water did improve the taste significantly! LB medium tasted weird, but not as bad as I thought. It's a bit salty and tasted like protein. I could imagine that bacteria love it.
The E. coli plate I spread by myself; grown after 24 hours.
A shaker-incubator. Prof. Goodman said bacteria need to be shaken all the time to get enough oxygen. Why they no get dizzy?
I set up a schedule to pick up 6 liquid cultures that would have been induced for different times. Unfortunately, this shaker machine broke (because it was too old and some rubber in it broke) when I was collecting the 12-hour culture. I had to start my experiment all over again next time because I couldn't keep the experimental conditions identical for all 6 cultures. I need some luck for my experiment.
I can still use some of the cells for another experiment. I will determine how many fractions we need to collect from the gravity flow column to obtain the most protein tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. 還好這次實驗還有些用處,不過你的教授不是也說,在實驗室中一天到晚發生這種事情!

    以後你泡茶都要去實驗室拿水嗎?這樣算偷嗎?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 泡茶有時候也要做一些小實驗
    首先茶葉的用量要斟酌一下
    放少味道不夠太多會苦澀
    如果照你描述的應該是放太多茶葉了
    水也會有些影響但一般而言差別不會那麼大
    即使是硬水煮開也會讓礦物沉澱
    水也軟化了

    你們實驗室還真的和你指導教授一樣老
    我還沒碰過INCUBATOR會破掉的
    很好笑耶
    當年我同一試驗步驟重複了八九十次
    指失敗一次還真的是小意思
    不過還是要祝福你GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea wasn't only tasting bitter. It tasted weird when I use the tap water ... and didn't when I use double-distilled water.

      That happened to you because your professor was no good. He didn't examine what was really going wrong in his lab. It was not only a waste of time for you, also for him.

      Delete