After eating bak kut teh soup for a long time, and a week of curry rice, I wanted to try something different.
Au gratin buttery cabbage with sausage is a delightful dish made of cabbage, dried shrimps, sausages, milk, flour, and mozzarella-provolone mix cheese. I ate it as a main dish for dinner.
Now I know what the buttery stuff in those au gratin dishes is made of - flour and milk! I like how the buttery taste of this dish comes mostly from milk instead of cheese or butter. This will work perfectly with pasta too.
1. Add a little oil or butter to stir-fry the sliced sausages, minced garlic, and dried shrimps. Don't add too much, because sausages will release their own oil!
2. Stir-fry cabbage with the sausages.
3. Mix a few cups of milk with some flour, salt, and sugar. Pour it into the wok, add black pepper, and cook until cabbage is soft. Dried cilantro or other spices are optional.
4. Put the cabbage on a baking plate and spread some mozzarella cheese on it.
5. Bake until the cheese is a bit brown.